Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Raspberry White Chocolate Scones

I like to look at cooking blogs and found this gem on thesisterscafe.com.  A few years ago my sister Meri found a place called The Raspberry Patch in Payson where you can go and pick raspberries and then pay only $2.50/pound!  So basically when I saw this recipe I vowed to go picking this summer and make it.  My friend Aura Maria and I went picking and I got about a pound.  I think we went a little too early in the season, but they were still delicious, just a little harder to find in the bushes.  I had forgotten that although the raspberries are cheep, it takes work to pick them.  You have to push the bushes around, bend over, and reach deep in the bush catching scratches on your hands and arms.  Anyway, enough about the picking, these scones are the best I've had.  Most baked scones are pretty dry but these are quite moist.  This was my first time making scones and my only complaint is that they didn't brown on the tops.  Next time I might but an egg wash on top to brown them without over cooking them.

INGREDIENTS
1 stick cold butter
1 1/2 c fresh or frozen raspberries
1/2 c milk
1/2 c sour cream
2 c all-purpose flour
1/2 c sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 c white chocolate chips
1 Tbsp butter, melted
sugar to sprinkle on top

DIRECTIONS
Mix milk and sour cream in a medium bowl and refrigerate.  In another medium bowl mix flour, 1/2 c sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.  Dice butter and cut into flour mixture with a pastry blender or fork until it is the size of small peas.  Remove milk mixture from fridge and add to flour mixture folding with a spatula until just combined.

Flour counter and empty dough out.  Sprinkle dough and hands with flour and knead 6-8 times adding flour as needed.  Roll dough into a 12x12 inch square.  Fold dough into thirds like a letter and then roll into a 12x12 square again (flour surface as needed).  Sprinkle dough with raspberries and white chocolate.  Roll dough into a tight log.  Lay seam-side down and press into a 12x4 inch rectangle.  With a sharp floured knife, cut log into four equal squares and then cut each square diagonally to make 2 triangles.  Transfer to a baking sheet and brush tops with melted butter and sprinkle with sugar.  Bake 18-25 minutes or until tops are golden brown.  Transfer to a rack to let cool.
(prebaked)
Melanie

No comments:

Post a Comment