Monday, September 3, 2012

White chocolate and Craisin Cookies

So I was planning on making white chocolate macadamia cookies but the nuts were bad. My mom moved a few months ago and if you have ever been in our basement (or small market) you would see that there was no way she was going to move all that food storage so I offered to take a small load, mainly just the macadamia nuts. I don't know when or where my mom got them and I couldn't find the expiration date on them but they were defiantly bad. They didn't look bad just tasted almost rancid. I guess it is lucky that I tasted a nut before cutting and adding them to my cookie dough.  I instead added craisins to the mix and the cookies turned out delish and lower in fat since if you didn't already know, macadamia nuts are basically the highest fat nut (21g per 1/4 cup). I combined a few different recipes and gave and took a few ingredients so I claim this masterpiece as my own.


INGREDIENTS
1/2 c butter, softened
1/3 c shortening
3/4 c sugar
3/4 c brown sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
1 1/2 c all-purpose flour
1/4 c whole wheat flour
1 1/2 c oats
3/4 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 c craisins
3/4 c white chocolate chips

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 350 F. In a large bowl, cream butter, shortening, and sugars until light and fluffy.  Add vanilla and eggs and blend well. Blend 1 cup of oats in blender or food processor to make oat flour.  In a separate bowl combine oat flour, all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, salt, and baking soda.  Add flour mixture to creamed mixture and blend.  Fold in the last 1/2 cup oats, chocolate chips, and craisins. Place 12 balls of dough onto cookie sheet using a cookie scoop and bake for 10-13 minutes. (I put a second pan under the pan with the cookies to prevent the bottoms from cooking too fast.)
~Makes about 3 dozen

Melanie

No comments:

Post a Comment