Sunday, April 7, 2013

Baked Spaghetti in Garlic Bread

So, I love carbs. I can admit it. When I saw this on Pinterest, I knew I would love it! I decided to change it up a bit from the original recipe on the Rhodes Rolls website. I used a bread recipe that I love! I use it for pizza crust, bread sticks, garlic bread, and anything else I can think of. Its so easy and delicious! I even make it with half white, half wheat flour so its a bit healthier. I also use whole wheat pasta. Brett doesn't love whole wheat, but he doesn't mind it in this recipe. 

Bread Ingredients:
1 cup luke warm water
1 tbsp Honey
1 envelope Active Dry yeast
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups white flour
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour

Spaghetti Ingredients:
1 box whole wheat pasta
3/4 jar of Spaghetti sauce (I always add brown sugar, oregano and garlic salt to enhance my sauce)
8 oz mozerella cheese
1 egg white
Parsley
shredded parmesan
minced garlic


Combine yeast and warm water and let sit for a few minutes, long enough to be sure yeast is active. Add the honey and salt. I use my Kitchenaid with the bread dough hook. Turn on mixer, but don't turn on higher than a 2 on the Kitchenaid. Slowly add flour, about 1/2 cup at a time. When the bread starts to pull away from the sides and doesn't come off on your finger when you touch it, its done. Leave the mixer on for 5 minutes and let the dough hook do its work. 

After 5 minutes, cover with a towel and let rise about an hour, or until double in size. Roll out into whatever shape you are using the bread for. I roll it out into a rectangle size like in the picture below.

Prepare spaghetti according to your liking. I always use a pound of ground beef with mine. I also use a bit less sauce than normal to avoid the bread getting soggy at all. Combine the sauce, meat, and noodles (again, I use whole wheat pasta) and pour down the middle of the bread. Slice some slits down the edges of the bread, as shown below.
Note: be sure to use parchment paper, rather than wax paper. I've learned the hard way that the bread doesn't come off the wax paper well at all.


 Top the spaghetti with mozerella cheese, either cubed or shredded, about 8 oz. Braid the sliced edges of the bread together by pulling them all up and braiding them together. You can pinch the bread together. Pull up the edges to close up the bread loaf. Baste the bread with the egg white, sprinkle dried parsley, mined garlic and parmesan cheese.


Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes. Cool and serve. I warmed some more pasta sauce to dip it in and it was delicious.

The Finished Product!








Delicious dinner!
























Enjoy!

~Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment