Sunday, May 6, 2012

Mexican Sweet Corn Cake

This is like corn bread but no extra butter or honey is needed on top because it is built in making it so moist and sweet.  Nick and I loved it!  I found this recipe on ourbestbites.com but I ran out of butter so I substituted half with sour cream.  It also called for masa harina (a Mexican flour) but I didn't have that on hand so I just used regular white flour.  It is still very moist and is lower in fat!  Here is my altered recipe:

INGREDIENTS

1/4 c butter (1/2 stick), softened
1/4 c sour cream
1/4 c water
1/3 c flour
1/4 c corn meal
1/3 c sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 Tbsp milk
1 1/2 c frozen corn

DIRECTIONS

Preheat oven to 350 F.  Place corn in food processor or blender and pulse until roughly broken up.  In a medium bowl mix butter, flour, and water with a hand mixer until creamy.  Mix in corn meal, sugar, salt, and baking soda.  Add broken corn and milk and gently mix with wooden spoon or spatula.  Place mixture in a 8x8 or 9x9 ungreased pan.  Cover with foil and place it in a 9x13 pan.  Pour water in the 9x13 pan until it come up about an inch.  Place in oven and cook for 55 minutes.  Remove from oven, uncover, and let sit for 10-15 minutes.  Scoop on to plate using a spoon.
pan of corn bread nesting in pan filled with water
Melanie

No comments:

Post a Comment